On the recommendation of my mother I decided to check out this fall soup from marathastewart.com. I decreased the portions, because I wasn't cooking for 6-8 people. Here's my version of the recipe.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups peeled, chopped celery root
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 10 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought vegetable stock
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and quartered local apples
2. Add celery root, potato, and vegetable stock; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Add apples and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
4.Remove saucepan from heat and puree using an immersion blender or, working in batches, using a conventional blender; season with salt and pepper.
I don't have an immersion blender, so I attempted the conventional blender method. I was a bit apprehensive that it would work, me being a novice and afraid of 2nd degree burns-but it went very smoothly-literally!!