- Startin' a Revolution: You probably heard, but Jamie Oliver is causing quite a stir with his Food Revolution.The former "naked chef" and fresh fruits and vegetable advocate with a British accent that makes you love him even more, takes on a West Virgina Town, with the country's highest obesity rate. While he fails to mention all the people who have been working for years to get these things accomplished, and the complexity of food policy, the more media attention on this issue, the better I say! A new episode airs every Friday on ABC if you've missed it, full episode's are free on Hulu and you can catch the first episode here
- Inspiring Food Activism: In case you missed it, there have been a whole slew of sustainable food movies as of late. I think Food Inc and No Impact Man do a great job of getting the point across. If you haven't seen them yet, Whole Foods is hosting Film Screenings across the country of these two, The Garden (about a community garden in LA), End of the Line (overfishing), Food Inc, Fresh, Food Fight and more! and did I mention they are all FREE? Get to the nearest screening! See complete list and dates here
- It is also Farmworker's Awareness Week! Farming is one of the most dangerous profession in the world, and we need them every single day! Unfortunately many of them lack basic worker's protection, such as health insurance, overtime pay and even basic living conditions. Coalition of Immokalee Workerss are doing work to help increase migrant workers wages (which haven't increased since 1970!) and Student Action with Farmworkers is spreading awareness on farmer's issues this week
- Take out Childhood Hunger- by eating? Get tickets to your local Taste of the Nation, which benefits Share our Strength-an organization that fights to end child hunger in the US. Top chefs from your city share a delightful array of small bites and drinks, and it's an amazing event! I'll be back to volunteer for the second time this year in Boston. Get your Tickets here!
- Let's Move Peeps! You know we're on to something when Michelle Obama's Anti-Obesity Campaign is represented with sugar-laden easter treats! Just a friendly reminder to balance your chocolate and fitness!
Saturday, April 3, 2010
Wanna Start a Revolution?? Well, we vote 3 (or 4-6) times per day with our forks-so make your voice heard!