Janel snagged me a ticket to their premiere of Forks Over Knives this past Sunday, and I jumped at the opportunity to see this movie before it's official May release.
I enjoyed the film, although they were definitely preaching to the choir with me. They had great interviews with Collin Campbell, author of the China Study and Dr. Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic.
Some take-away points:
- The answer is not another pill. The answer is spinach
- You are not your genes. You are not a hopeless victim. You can change your health destiny
- Real men eat Plants-you don't have to eat meat to be manly. (want some examples? what about ultra-marathoner Scott Jurek? Vegan. What about Ultimate Figher Mac Danziggma? Vegan. Body Builder Robert Cheeke? Vegan. and many many more manly vegans)
- The greatest gift you can give to yourself and your family is to eat more plants!
- small changes lead to big results. Don't have to be 100% vegan-just increase fruits and veggies!
If you eat food (and you better) I highly recommend check out this movie. You can learn more about Forks Over Knives and catch a screening on their website, or by following them on twitter.
After the film there was a fantastic panel of David M Eisenberg MD of Harvard Medical Center, Rip Esselstyn, author of the Engine 2 Diet, and Tara Mardigan MS, MPH, RD at Dana Farber and for the Boston Red Sox. The panel was not unanimous with their recommendations, but I thought they all had valid points. I am honored to get to work weekly with Tara at Dana Farber-she's a rockstar dietitian that I definitely look up to! Besides, she had to leave right from the panel for Florida to join the Red Sox for Spring training!
There's going to be a lot of talk this spring at the Museum of Science about food-check out the schedule and reserve your spot!
Would you see Forks over Knives? Have you read the China Study?