I get a little bit crazy about pumpkin. Last year this time (which feels like eons ago) I had an entire party in honor of my favorite squash. It was glorious, with culinary delights such as pumpkin hummus, pumpkin whoopie pies, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, a pumpkin beer taste-off, and the best pumpkin vodka ever. I highly recommend you read the recap for recipes and inspiration.
Seriously, get on the pumpkin vodka boat. put it in a pumpkin white russianSo when I heard that this month's Recipe Redux was FRESH PUMPKIN THEMED I got very very excited. And then when my friend Katie and I were feeling homesick one weekend, we decided to go all out and make pumpkin soup, mac n cheese, AND vegan apple pie. It was delightful and I highly recommend that you pick a night to do likewise.
1 small sugar pumpkin (a sweet baking pumpkin)
Yes you could use canned pumpkin. But have you ever done a direct taste comparison between fresh roasted and pureed pumpkin and canned? Fresh is so unbelievable sweet with spice nuances you'll never go back again!Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves, fresh grated ginger, sea salt, to taste.
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 yellow onion
1/2 apple, chopped
3 cups Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1. Cut pumpkin in half. Scoop out seeds. Sprinkle cinnamon, cloves, fresh grated ginger, nutmeg and sea salt on each half. Add 1/2 tsp coconut oil to each half. Roast in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
2.While you're waiting for the pumpkin to roast, why not make some roasted curry seeds? rinse the seeds, and then lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Sprinkle on olive oil, curry powder, chili pepper, and turmeric and roast. I am notorious for burning my seeds, so i recommend that you chill out in the kitchen for 20-30 minutes and make sure they don't get to black....
3. Unscoop roasted pumpkin from skin and blend with 1 cup almond milk in a blender or food processor to make a puree.
You can use this puree in breads, muffins, oatmeal, smoothies, anything really! But if you want to stay with me and make soup, head over to step 3.
4. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a pan, adding the chopped apple once they are browned.
5. Add remaining 2 cups almond milk and pumpkin puree. Stir.
6. Carefully puree entire soup in blender.
7. Heat in pan
Still looking to get your pumpkin fix? Feast on these recipes!