And add a little cheese because I really wanted to try Daiya's new wedges-Jalapeno Havarti to be specific. (for those who are like day-wha? Daiya is a line of faux-chesse that are free of dairy, soy, gluten, eggs, rice, peanuts and tree nut. And it's the only nondairy "cheese" that I find acceptable-and it actually melts)
I was also torn as to whether this was a scone or soda bread. It just uses baking soda to give it a little rise, but I feel like my Irish ancestors would be turning in their grave if they saw what I had done to traditional Irish Soda Bread. So let's stick to "scone"
Ramped-Up Vegan Scones
- 3 cups 100% white whole wheat flour
- 1 TBS baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vingar
- 1 cup soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 # ramps, diced
- 1 block Daiya Cheese, shredded (optional)
2. In a second bowl mix the rest of the ingredients. Side note: ramps have an extremely short availability. So you could always sub chives. And you could definitely use real cheese, I just wanted to try a fun new product.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir together, almost kneading.
4.Spread unto a sheet pan, that has a thin layer of olive oil or parchment paper to make it nonstick
5.Bake at 350 for 15 minutes
Want some more spring inspired recipes? Check these out!