Let's take the STRESS out of holidays, by starting it on a healthy foot with food. Here are some of my top tips:
- Ditch Meal Skipping- Don't skip your breakfast or lunch just because a feast is coming up. When you restrict in a such a way, you're more likely to overdo it at that big meal. Eat normal meals, full of veggies, protein and complex carbohydrates to keep your hunger at bay.
- Celebrate the Harvest- Place seasonal veggies first and foremost on your plate-your body and your local farmers will thank you! Try roasting Brussels sprouts, carrots, yams, and parsnips with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt to let their flavors shine through. Add a massaged kale salad to the table. (Yes, put olive oil and sea salt on your kale. and massage it. like a human). Try a dessert with apples pear and ginger, and don't forget about pumpkin!
like this gorgeous kale grapefruit avocado salad. nom
- Don't Forget Your Veggies- Look at the feast in front of you, and make it your priority to cover your plate with at least half veggies. Snack on veggies (hello baby carrots and hummus). Sneak veggies into every meal! You'll get an antioxidant boost and they'll "fill you up before they fill you out."
- Embrace Mindful Eating. Stay present during your meal. Notice the nuances in taste. Enjoy your food. Release Guilt, and tune into your intuitive signals of hunger and fullness.
- Move it- Go for a walk or run with family. Sign up for a Turkey Trot 5K or Jingle Bell Jolly run. Stuck inside? Put on a yoga flow or try Nike Trainer app. get your body moving and those endorphins pumping happiness!
- Make Something Delicious. Here are some dishes I'm dying to tackle
- Be thankful- You can always focus on the long lines, flight delays and that relative that's not your favorite. Shift your focus to what you're truly thankful for and say/write your graditudes. I'll start.
- Healthy Holiday Travel-Be sure to pack healthy snacks because we all know the horrors of $5 bananas and oatmeal in the airport. If you're going to pack a bar I'm obsessed with the Vega Vibrancy Bars or good ol' Lara Bars. And never ever forget your reusable water bottle! Why pay $4 for water ever?
What will i be doing? I'll be eating delicious things and getting plenty of fresh air with this dude
Have a happy, healthy holiday season!