They call out my name from bar and dessert menus. And since I'm dairy challenged (and keep a plant-based diet) I have serious FOMO. So being an awful baker, when I heard the Recipe Redux theme this month was liquor-based, I headed to the blender instead of the oven.
The result was ridiculously good. Like I-want-to-eat-this-every-night good. Like "I can't believe this has 15 grams of protein and 2 servings of greens" good. Like I-should-start-my-own-healthier-boozy-milkshake-food-truck good. Anyone in?
Bourbon Salted Caramel Boozy Milkshake
- 1 cup coconut milk (the kind in a can, not lite)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup vanilla non-dairy ice cream (I used NadaMoo from Whole Foods)
- 1 serving Vega Protein Smoothie Viva Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1-2 ounces Bourbon (depends on how boozy you want)
- To make the salted caramel sauce, mix coconut milk and cane sugar together over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (we're not going for burnt caramel here). Add sea salt, bourbon and vanilla extract an simmer for 5 more minutes. Take off heat and store.
- Blend milkshake ingredients together.