1. I haven't been camping yet this year. This is a travesty. I'm amending this situation this weekend, but I have no patience and couldn't just hold out for a mere two days.
2. I love gummy foods (bears, worms, strawberries, cherries, sharks, fish, mallows, you name it), and gelatin makes me sad. Not saying that I've been avoiding the gummies, but I've been thinking more and more about them.
Solution? Make a s'mores "granola bar" to match this month's Recipe Redux theme. Except add protein, so they aren't just a sugar bomb. And give Dandies Vegan Marshmallows a shot. Problem solved.
S'mores Protein Bites (Vegan)
Makes 24 balls
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup protein powder (I used Vega Sport Performance Protein Chocolate flavor)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (non-dairy)
- 1/2 cup vegan marshmallows (or omit, or use regular. your choice)
- 1/2 cup Annie's Bunny Grahams
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, hand mix all ingredients together.
- Using your hands, roll into bite-sized balls.
- Eat as a sweet ending to your day, pre-workout, mid-hike, whenever!
You better believe I'm bringing these bites AND my bag of vegan marshmallows with me this weekend. Guess what--they taste even better than the OG version. Win-Win